Friday, October 5, 2012

My experiences as a highschool teacher




I began my teaching practice some weeks ago at INSA. I thought it was going to be easy to work with high school students, but it had been complicated. I never thought I was going to face a lot of problems. As most Salvadorian people my students are not interesting in learning English. I realized that they like to joke with my tutor, and also my tutor allows them to joke with him. It has caused me a lot of problems because I am a serious person, and I do not like to joke with them. My challenge is going to engage them in my activities and to make them see English as a good tool in our society nowadays.

There is a student in my class, and he thinks that he knows everything. He is good at English for that reason he thinks that I do not have something to teach him. He told my tutor that he prefers my tutor to be in front of the class instead of me, and I let it be. But I began to reflect about that, and I noticed that I have to do something in order to change that. I asked my didactics teacher an advice, and he told me that I have to challenge my student. I think it is a good idea, and I will put it into practice in my next class. Of course, I won´t threat my students, but I will make them aware that I am teaching them because I want them to learn English.

One day I was so disappointed so that I said I was not going to care about my students learning. But after I reflected that it wasn´t my students’ fault, I felt encourage to better the way I am teaching them.

Now I know it is not going to be easy, but I know that I have the tools. So, I will do my best in order to be a good teacher and to transmit that to my students. I didn´t want to be a teacher, but I know that since I am studying a major that allow me to teach, I will try to be a good teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment